Sunday, June 21, 2009

Rum Point, Butterfly Farm and some random

We did some dives on the north side of the island and the non-divers got to hang out at Rum Point. I don't have any pictures besides these two! It's a great beach and stays shallow forever (you can walk out to the end of the dock - in the water, I mean.), so it's great for kids. They have big hammocks hanging for anyone to just chill in. The restaurant there is pretty good too.

Taking a walk on 7 mile beach.
I went to the butterfly farm twice - once with Anna Mae & Kami and then again on my own. They give visitors a pass and you can go as many times as you want on your stay. I love it there - kinda therapeutic. And very hot the first time we went unfortunately.



These blue ones are my favorite and it is so hard to get a good picture of them with their wings open. I probably too 50 pictures of them and only these two were any good. They aren't actually blue. It's the way the sunlight reflects off them. They give you a tour and you learn tons of cool stuff. I've been many times and always learn something new Did you know that when they go in their chrysalis (moths do cocoons) they basically melt into a 'DNA soup' and liquefy before they turn into a butterfly. It's crazy!Here is "the bar". The butterfly 'dudes' LOVE fermenting fruit and pretty much hang out there all day. Ironic?





This one liked Anna Mae. She's sweet!

This is one of the pirate ships that is in the harbor and does a wicked Booze Cruise. Or so I hear. They have a whole Pirates Week in October and it is crazy! Very Mardi Gras. They don't even really know if pirates were ever on this island, but they do tons of pirate tourist stuff.
We tried to watch the sun set every night all together. Best sunsets I've ever seen. I have a lot of these pictures!

5 comments:

RaeAnn said...

Nice pics...thanks for the soon post. I have always wanted to do a butterfly tour! Oh, and when I was in 2nd grade I wrote a report all about them. My teacher made me re-do it when I said they weighed 8 lbs. on average when born. Guess I didn't have the research aspect down yet.

Anna Mae and Boyd said...

GOOD MEMORIES!! I'm so glad I went to the "farm" with you. I can't believe you got the blue butterfly. I love spending time with you Megan.

Unknown said...

Geez that looks amazing! I love that pic of you & Mitch. How much fun was that hangin out with Boyd, Mae, Ryan, & Kami-lucky!

Ashley said...

Butterflys were formed out of liquid??? Definite news to me. Man, 7 mile beach brings back not so good memories for me on our cruise. Let's just say I was throwing up in the gross outhouse and aqcuired a worm on my foot from running in and out of that bathroom without my shoes on. WOOPS!

Glenn and Natalie said...

Love the pictures--you and your blue shirt are absolutely beautiful! You are one hot momma!