Wednesday, April 13, 2011

More of a journal entry, really

Today is my Grandma Pullins birthday. She passed away on Dec. 19th last year. She said that she really liked looking at our blog and the pictures of the family, so I think she would be ok with me posting this for her. Really, I want to remember, so if I write some of it down hopefully, I won't forget. She taught me to shuffle cards. I do it backwards from everyone else and I don't know why she never corrected me, but I'm glad. She was the only one who I didn't mind when they called me "Meggy". She was so FUNNY and KIND and LOVING! The best hostess on the planet. She would always worry about having enough for everyone and "what else can I get you?". I'm so grateful that we grew up living close to my grandparents. They would come to our school concerts, graduations, etc. She gave me my first pearl necklace. Every Sunday we would go to their house for dinner. She loved games and we would always play something after we ate. When I was younger we would take turns getting to spend the night at their house every once and awhile. It was so cool because we got to sleep in the big guest bed, eat dinner on a T.V. tray in the living room while watching Wheel of Fortune, take a bubble bath and have McDonald's or peanut butter toast for breakfast (even though she would have make us anything we wanted)! She taught me how to hit a golf club and we would go to Glen Lakes to hit a bucket of balls. I loved that. She was really good at golf and played a lot when they were younger, even though it was supposed to be to a "man's sport". She loved to travel. They went to Europe and picked up my Mom from her travel abroad in Austria and they went all over the place. She would watch all kinds of travel programs on T.V. She loved music, played the piano beautifully and would listen to music on her record player. She loved to dance too. She and I would watch Dancing with the Stars and call each other every week to talk about it. She loved Derek! One of the best things I've ever heard was one time my Mom told me she was over there a few years ago in the back bedroom and they were in the living room watching The Lawrence Welk (?) show. (more music and dancing) She came into the room and my grandparents were slow dancing in the living room. They loved each other so so much. Grandpa would always answer the phone and say, "would like you like to talk to the beautiful blond?" I knew she was sick, but we were going to be in Phx for Christmas and I really really thought she would be there then. I hate that she never got to meet Charlotte Jean - who we named her after. There never was a kinder, gentler, sweeter, more wonderful woman on this planet and I miss her everyday.

7 comments:

Wendy said...

*sniffle sniffle*

Ashley said...

I loved reading this Megan, what a beautiful tribute. She sounds like an incredible grandma/woman, and lived a great life. Love the stories of your Grandpa and her.

Anna Mae and Boyd said...

I loved your grandma too. I enjoyed her even before I knew you. My mom loved her too. I think that they loved bragging to each other about the grandchildren they had in common. You have so many of her great qualities. Love to you.

Kelly said...

That was really cool. A beautiful tribute.

The Pullins said...

What a wonderful tribute to Grandma. She was an amazing woman and she left quite a legacy through her family. It's hard to go a day without thinking about her. There's so many things that happen that she would love to hear about and would probably be the only person that would give the excited response that we always seem to look for. Because of her and her obsession with disposable cameras we can still see the world/family through her eyes.

Leslie said...

what a beautiful tribute to your beautiful grandma!!!

Nicole said...

What a beautiful tribute to you grandma!! She was so sweet!! I feel that way about my grandparents not meeting Lacey. But I know they are watching me!! your grandparents were such a sweet couple!!